Responsible use of personal data
To meet concrete societal challenges such as human rights on the Internet, free flow of information, as well as creating a competitive and sustainable digital market, there is a need for initiatives that aim to combine user privacy with commercial utility. The Fair Data project answers directly to the challenges identified by the EU commission; that is, that access to, knowledge about, as well as responsible use of personal data is crucial to European growth and competitiveness.
To address the users’ concern regarding violation of privacy and to support individual companies in how the collection and utilization of Internet user data can be handled when the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is instituted in 2018, it is necessary to investigate and establish strategies that support trust from a privacy viewpoint based on legal, ethical and business requirements, in order to prevent complete branch segments from losing their market position.
The project investigates the prerequisites for business development based on user data (main goal) with the following solutions (sub targets):
1. Guidelines for commercial handling and use of Internet user data according to GDPR, ethical principles and business requirements
2. Fair data Internet panel and pilots for measurements of user generated Internet traffic data (related to ethics, privacy and commercial utility) tested and developed with project partners and selected Swedish Internet users
3. Assessment of grounds for creating a privacy certification
4. New or improved products and business solutions that build on the project results concerning data handling and usage
- Malmö universitet, “Svensken negativ till insamling av användardata” (Jul. 5, 2018)
- Göteborgs universitet, “Majoriteten fortsatt negativ till delning av data på internet” (Jun. 13, 2018)
- Dagens samhälle, “Vi bär alla ansvar för Cambridge Analytica-skandalen” (Apr. 15, 2018)
- Fair Data: Responsible use of personal data (May 15, 2017)
- Forskningsprojekt kartlägger sjyst data (May 8, 2017)
- Vinnova announcement (Apr. 27, 2017)
Project period: 2017-09-01 – 2019-08-31
Funding: The project is funded by Vinnova.
Contact: The project is coordinated by Acreo Swedish ICT, and IOTAP is represented by Sara Leckner.